Billy and Nick are salesmen whose careers have been torpedoed by the digital world.Trying to prove they are not obsolete, they defy the odds by talking their way into a coveted internship at Google, along with a battalion of brilliant college students. But, gaining entrance to this utopia is only half the battle. Now they must compete with a group of the nation's most elite, tech-savvy geniuses to prove that necessity really is the mother of re-invention.
- torpedo [tɔrˈpido] (v.) 1. 用魚雷襲擊(或擊中、擊沈) 2. 使徹底完蛋。
Example: More than a thousand people died when the Lusitania was torpedoed.
Example: These attacks are seen as an effort to torpedo the convention.
- obsolete [ˈɑbsəˌlit] (adj.) 過時的、廢棄的、淘汰的。
Example: With technological changes many traditional skills have become obsolete.
- defy [dɪˈfaɪ] (v.) 違抗、反抗、不服從。
Example: This was the first (and last)time that I dared to defy my mother.
- coveted [ˈkʌvɪtid] (adj.) 人人嚮往的。
Example: He won one of sport's most coveted trophies.
- battalion [bəˈtæljən](n.) (尤指有組織、有特定任務)一大群、一大批。
Example: There were battalions of highly paid publicists to see that such news didn't make the press.
- utopia [juˈtopiə] (n.) 烏托邦、理想國、理想的完美社會。
Example: Everyone has a dream that one day they can reach Utopia.
- savvy [ˈsævi] (adj.) 有見識的、具有實際知識的、有經驗的。
Example: This time, they are adopting more politically-savvy strategies.
John Goodman: Everything’s computerized now!
John Goodman: 現在所有的東西都電腦化了。
- computerize [kəm'pju:təraɪz] (v.) 用電腦控制(系統、作業)、使電腦化。
Example: The firm has decided to computerize its wages department.
Sometimes the long shots pay off the biggest!
- long shot [lɔŋ ʃɑt] (n.) 比喻不太可能發生或做到的事。(射槍的時候，距離越遠，打中機率越低)
Example: We could ask the company to replace your broken smartphone for free. It's a long shot, but it's worth trying.
- pay off [pe ɔf] (p.v.) 成功、贏利。
Example: Sandra was determined to become a doctor and her persistence paid off.