Congratulations to George Clooney for his Golden Globes win for Best Actor in a Drama for The Descendants ~~~
Matt: I'm just trying to keep my head above water.
今天來上的是跟「水」有關的成語 及 俚語。
1. Be in deep water / Be in hot water = 陷於艱境、陷入麻煩
e.g. She's in deep water; they caught her cheating.
2. Blood is thicker than water = 血濃於水
3. Come hell or high water = 不論如何、赴湯蹈火在所不辭
e.g. I'll be here tomorrow; come hell or high water.
4. Dead in the water = 無任何成功的機會、無法在進一步的
e.g. This plan is already dead in the water. It's time to move on.
5. Keep ( someone's ) head above water = 避免陷入負債；避免陷入困境、麻煩
e.g. We earn so little, it's hard to keep our heads above water.
6. Throw / Pour cold water on ( something ) = 潑冷水、批評
7. Pour oil on troubled water(s) = 平息糾紛、息事寧人
8. Water under the bridge = 過去的事、已成往事
e.g. I forgive your mistake. It's water under the bridge now.
9. Won't hold water = ( 理論 )站不住腳、漏洞百出
e.g. Your excuse won't hold water. Think of another one.
10. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. = 師父引進門，修行在個人。
Quiz Time: What does " You never miss the water till the well runs dry " mean ??
Tell us the answer~~~I think it's something to think about when meeting up with your family over the Chinese New Year.